From 1st to 17th December we look forward to seeing you on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays (details in the Opening hours section). Wear proper shoes and clothes, winter has arrived in Vimperk in full force. Inside the castle and the museum we temper down to about 5-7 °C.
Renaissance in Šumava mountains
The story of the Novohradský from Kolovraty family on the background of the Thirty Years' War and the creation of a Renaissance castle in the cold Šumava.
Walk through the history of the castle from the 17th to the 20th century. You will learn, among other things, how it happened that a Renaissance castle was built in Šumava during the Thirty Years' War and how this castle was conquered just a few years after its creation. You will then follow the remarkable history of the castle up to the present day.
The tour passes through the parts of the Upper Chateau, restored in 2019–2021, so you can see, for example, the restored wooden ceiling from the first half of the 17th century, restored Renaissance paintings or two restored castle chapels.
The tour is possible only with a guide.
The guided tours are in Czech. Because of operating reasons there is no English text or translation available yet! We are sorry for the inconvenience.
For a possibility of a tour with an English speaking guide, please contact the castle administration.
Ideal for visitors interested in a guided tour.
|1. 11.-31. 12||closed|
|1. 1-31. 3.||closed|
The time (e.g. 10.00-16.00) indicates the departure of the first and last tour of that day.
- Category Price
- Regular 180 CZK
- Reduced (youth 18–24 years old, seniors older than 65 years, persons with diabilities with valid identification card/certificate) 140 CZK
- Children 6–17 years 50 CZK
- Children 0–5 years free
- Teacher supervision (1 person per 15 children) free
- Guide accompanying a group of at least 15 persons free
- ICOMOS card (only for a card holder) free
- Special cards and tickets issued by the National Heritage Institute or Ministry of Culture Czech Republic free
- More detailed information about discounts will be provided at the ticket office or by phone.
At a time when the castles are usually asleep, the most interesting places of the Upper Castle and Middle Ages summer tours are ready to be visited.
this tour is available today 10.00 – 10.00
180 CZK (full admission)
duration 45 minutes
max. 15 people
reservation needed for groups only